Good morning cheeky babes!
Today I want to talk about one of my less fav topics… exercise. It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just that there is about 500 other things I’d rather do. If it’s not yoga it feels like a total chore. But we all know getting active daily is beyond important when it comes to maintaining our health. So, here are a few practical ways you can incorporate more physical activity into your day-to-day life:
Use the 30 minute rule
We are all busy and for most of us exercise isn’t at the top of our list of things to do with our free time. You don’t need to run a marathon but you should strive to incorporate at least 30 minutes of physical activity into your day. You can even break it up into three ten minute mini workouts.
Do not underestimate walking
A lot of people brush walking off because it doesn’t feel like you are exerting much energy. While it’s not the highest intensity work out it’s 100x better than doing nothing at all. According to the Harvard Medical Centre walking can curb your sweet tooth, boost your immune system, and ease joint pain… to name a few. There are many benefits to walking and its easier than you may think to tack onto your daily routine. Here are a few ways to get your extra steps in girl:
- Choose a parking spot further from the door
- Take the stairs instead of elevators/ escalators when given the opportunity
- Find a parking lot 5-10 minutes from your workplace and walk that portion of your commute.
Exercise at the office…discreetly
You have to be at work for 8 hours a day, may as well use your time there wisely. I work in an office setting and I’ve found a few sneaky ways to include exercise into my day. I’m not suggesting you lunge your way to the printer right out in the open… but there are ways to work out without being too obvious:
- Every time I go to the bathroom I do 20 squats. I drink a lot of water so most days I end up in the bathroom 5-6 times… that’s 120 squats people. Zero excuses to not have a popping booty.
- I spend most of my day sitting down so I take this opportunity to do leg lifts. All you have to do is straighten both legs and hold them in place for ten or more seconds. Then lower the legs back to the ground without letting your feet touch the floor. Repeat this as many times as you want. The key is to squeeze, squeeze, squeeze your legs, booty and even your core the whole time. Bonus: They go completely unnoticed underneath the desk!!
- Use a portion of your lunch break to go for a walk, even if it’s only for 10 minutes. I’ve also noticed that the mid-day change of scenery helps boost my mood and makes me more productive in the afternoon.
Switch it up
If you are going to carve out time to formally exercise make sure you switch your routine up. Going to the gym and floating from machine to machine can quickly become mundane and discouraging. Try to incorporate different forms of movement such as dance, yoga, swimming or sports. If you like working out at home utilize online fitness plans and resources. The more you keep yourself from getting bored the more likely you will be to stick to your goal.
Get a fitness coach
I didn’t realize the importance and value of this one until my best friend became fitness obsessed and started shoving her healthy lifestyle in my face. I truly mean this in the best way possible. Having someone to give you tips, cheer you on and hold you accountable is one of the best ways to insure you stick to a fitness regime.
Bonus: You don’t need to have a fitness obsessed bestie – you can just borrow mine. Sarah is an online fitness coach, and a virtual motivator!! Follow her on Instagram to get your daily dose of motivation, fitness tips, and healthy recipes! Connect with her via email (email@example.com) if you want to learn more about how you can live a more active lifestyle. She will help you to fall in love with taking care of your body.
That’s all I got ladies! Use these 5 tips to make sure you break a sweat every day… starting today!! Xoxo